Monday, May 4, 2009

The Mobile Church Unit

For awhile now, I've been toying with the idea of finding a vehicle that we could use in our community for various opportunities of outreach. A vehicle that we could use at local schools (tailgates, serving Gatorade to teams, on-campus Bible studies and services). A vehicle that we could use at "Rock Your Block" (our backyard, week-long camps and/or vbs... coming in the summer of 2010). A vehicle that will allow others to see Ridgecrest Baptist Church's students in "motion," making an impact in their community for Christ!

In April, I attended METRO (a conference I attend every year), where I heard from two other student ministers that have similar vehicles. After the conference, I had greater clarity about using such a vehicle! I began praying that the Lord would show me what to do next!

Upon returning to Springfield, as I drove past our local Republic Road car lot (you know the one ... the PriceCutter parking lot) there it was ... a 1989, Ford Econoline E150, with 83,xxx original miles...the van! As soon as I saw it, I knew that it was just what I was looking for!

So the following Monday, we had an all-day leadership staff meeting where we were to present our outreach plans for 2010. I shared the plan for the student ministry, with part of the plan including the van! I showed pictures to everyone around the table and after a lot of laughing, kidding around and my promising that I was serious, our executive pastor named it the Mobile Church Unit (MCU). So now, I talk about the "MCU" not "the van"! Here are some pictures!












Seriously, put a red strip down the side with a spoiler on top and you've got the A-Team van!

About a year ago, someone gave a donation to the student ministry for "something creative," so I've been waiting and praying! The MCU is pretty creative, so I talked to the family that donated. They felt is was a great idea! We now have a van that we want to turn into an MCU. To do that, we will have to do some work to get it ready for the Fall.


Here is a short list:
1. sound system (able to be a PA or car stereo)
2. rear projection screen and projector
3. custom detailing/vinyl wrap on exterior
4. tie-down system in floor and on walls to hold coolers/grills/etc. in place while traveling
5. flooring
6. trailer hitch/tow package
7. custom panelling on inside of rear doors
8. mounting for projector/sound system amps/etc.
9. mobile power system & auxiliary power supply (a long extension cord!)


I can't wait to see what God does through this MCU. We have some work to do to get it ready before August! Pray for us!


Also, if you know of anyone who might be willing to help knock a couple items off our list, please let me know!


I'm Nate and this is what I think is essential!




2 comments:

Eliza said...

Awesome...love the rims, or tires, or wheels or whatever you call them. SO FUN!

xoxo erika said...

That's pretty sweet man! That would be perfect for high school sporting events. Thats sweet! You are right a red stripe and a rear spoiler would be just perfect :)